Wednesday, May 17, 2006

booklists: Something Sad, Something Funny

I spent the morning doing what I love best - BOOKTALKING. Imagine a class of 25 or so high school students hanging on to my every word as I "push books". Booktalks are mini-advertisements that star my favorite actor, ME. Here at SFPL we Teen Librarians strike out into the world of high school with a collection of books that we believe teens should read, want to read and will read, if only the teens know the titles exist. Well, standing there in front of 25 or so high school students, "pushing books" with booktalks it occured to me that one of the titles is just plain sad and another title just plain happy. Personally, I love a sad and depressing book that leaves you trembling with tears. I also enjoy a book that is nothing but nonsense and laughter.

Something Sad:

America by E.R. Frank
The story of a teenage runaway being treated in a mental hospital

Something Funny:

Wearing of This Garment Does Not Enable You to Fly: 101 Real Dumb Warning Labels
The title says it all.

Of course these titles are available at your local San Francisco Public Library.

have a favorite "sad" book? A favorite "funny" book?
Post the title and let others know