Saturday, August 16, 2008

Snippets from Teen Summer Reading - Glen Park Teens

I read The Goodness Gene. I liked the questions the story makes you ask yourself. The book reminded me a bit of Fahrenheit 451. I liked how it was similar to how life would be like if Hitler had succeeded. Will's struggle to not give in to his desire for fame and power brought out his character. If you like thinking about life's questions I would recommend this book to you.

I liked Born in Sin, written by Evelyn Coleman. This book is about how an African American girl named Keisha pursues her dreams of getting into Avery University and becoming an Olympic swimmer. In order to accomplish her dreams, Keisha has to go through many obstacles. Keisha almost gave up when more conflicts arose. Fortunately, with support and help from her family, Keisha fulfills her dreams. I would definitely recommend this book because it teaches me never to give up on something that I dream of in my life.

Twilight is a fantastic book. I recommend it to girls but it's great for boys too. Bella, the main character, meets Edward, a vampire and they become girlfriend and boyfriend. The book tells of how they manage their relationship. Edward yearns for her blood but he loves her at the same time. Bella has to be careful around him or his vampire side can present itself before her eyes. The ending of the book is great. There is much action. It takes place in Forks, but also Phoenix, Arizona. Bella is a teen with separated parents. Edward is a 17 year old vampire who has been around for over a century. I recommend it to people who like romance, vampires, or action.

The novel Prodigal Summer, by Barbara Kingsolver, weaves together three stories, all occurring in the same Southern Appalachian town. My favorite was the story of Lusa, a city girl brought to the town by her farmer husband who struggles to fit in among her vicious sisters-in-law. I loved Crys, Lusa's niece who things that she is a boy. Lusa's trials were very poignant.

No comments: